Thursday, June 19, 2008

Elizabeth Barrett Browning and her "Sonnets from the Portuguese"

My, my, my! These poems gave me the vapors! Only kidding. But on a serious note, wow. Browning got a little hot and heavy in these love poems, huh? I thought it was kind of funny that these were considered explicit in their time, but thank God we live in the 21st century and find these poems sweet, right? The book claims the title of this collection was derived from Browning's husband, Robert. Apparently, Elizabeth was hesitant to publish them and he swayed her decision by suggesting a title that implies the poems were translated from Portuguese. That had to have been a hilarious conversation. I can see why she was reluctant to let these go public. Not only do they convey her love for Robert, but they are incredibly intimate.

A good example of Browning's intimacy comes when she writes the following:

"When our two souls stand up erect and strong,
Face to face, silent, drawing nigh and nigher,
Until the lengthening wings break into fire
At either curved point, --what bitter wrong
Can the earth do to us, that we should not long
Be here contented?..." (p. 531)

"First time he kissed me, he but only kissed
The fingers of this hand wherewith I write;
And ever since, it grew more clean and white,
Slow to world-greetings, quick with its 'Oh, list,'
When the angels speak. A ring of amethyst,
I could not wear here, plainer to my sight,
Than that first kiss." (p. 532)

If I wrote these words to someone I love, I would want it to be for their eyes only. Even if it meant so much that they wanted to share it with the world, I would still refuse. I'm surprised that Browning even compromised with Robert! It's kind of like painting a picture for your mother, then your mom turning around and selling it for $1000. "Bittersweet" would be a good word to describe it. While it's cool someone found your work inspiring, it's still a slap in the face that your mother sold something you personally made for her.

4 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Daniel,

Some good passages quoted from Barret Browning's sonnets, and some interesting perspectives on them, but little close analysis of the poems themselves. You don't discuss at all the two passages you quote. Also, I am not sure your analogy is fair, since Barret Browning was a professional poet--it is her job (and her livelihood) to make poems and to publish them.

Jenny said...

I also find it interesting that Browning tried to pawn the poems off as something besides her own personal poems. I understand what Dr. Glance is saying --that it is her job to publish poems, however I think if these were written in current day she may have published them as love letters to her husband. However, it is hard to tell. I enjoyed this poem, but it was not my favorite! Good job

Courtney Bailey said...

I'm a big fan of "Sonnets from..."; You're right, they are extremely personal and yet nostalgically romantic for modern readers. I'm not entirely sure if Browning's reason for withholding their publishing was for privacy purposes. In fact, I think she may have been a bit ashamed that she had spent such a substantial collection of work on self-indulgent expression. I read once that she eventually gained great confidence in her work as a tool of political and social activism; "Letters from..." is quite far from such a purpose. Maybe it was an image decision :-) ?

Linh Huynh said...

This poem is quite intimate. Reading the poem you know it's not just a poem but a personal love poem. Like courtney said maybe she didn't want to keep her name unknown for privacy purposes and for her own reasons. I liked the quotes you chose to show her passion and feelings.