Friday, June 20, 2008

John Stuart Mill

As I was reading about John Stuart Mill's life, I couldn't help but think, "Great, another radical striving for blah, blah, blah..." Now, before you take that the wrong way, let me clarify. Almost all of the author's we've covered had dabbled a bit in extreme political views. These usually constituted the same things, whether it involved women's rights, equality, etc. So, when reading about John Stuart Mill, I wasn't exactly moved by his political views, as I've been calloused by those before him (and after). However, after reading more about him, I realized that Mill was an incredibly good guy. He was unbelievably selfless! You know, it's one thing to say you're for women's rights and equality, but it's another thing to actually live up to that. Mill practiced what he preached. The fact that he said his wife deserved just as many accolades for his writings as he did was surprising. Most people, and it's completely human and understandable, would want sole recognition for their works, especially when your name is John Stuart Mill! But he claims that he and his wife thought out loud together, and their conversations inspired his writings. I thought that was very admirable.

When I was reading Mill's "Statement Repudiating the Rights of Husbands", I couldn't help but wonder what kind of response he got from the men in his area. Did he get beat up when he was walking down the street? Was he allowed into the local pub? For every man that didn't believe in John's approach, they must have been ticked off that some guy was infringing on what they believed to be the best part of marriage. He was rocking the boat. I personally liked it when Mill said the following:

"And in the event of marriage between Ms. Taylor and me I declare it to be my will and intention, and the condition of the engagement between us, that she retains in all respects whatever the same absolute freedom of action, and freedom of disposal or herself and of all that does or may at any time belong to her, as if no such marriage had taken place; and I absolutely disclaim and repudiate all pretence to have acquired any rights whatever by virtue of such marriage." (p. 527)

There must have been an angry mob following Mill around daily. To be a woman and speak like this was not entirely unheard of at the time, but a man!?! They must have been livid! I think that's why I like Mill. He wasn't doing it to be outrageous, or even to get noticed, but he was doing it because he actually believed in it. That's why Mill was such a good guy.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Daniel,

Good focus and commentary on Mill's writings and views, with a specific passage quoted and analyzed. Good improvement!

Mill was not as unpopular as you assume, though; he was elected to Parliament twice, I think.

Michelle said...

This was a humorous post. I agree with your questioning how the men of his time accepted him. He was rocking that boat for sure!